When I got the phone call from Taste Of Life Magazine that the Alley Cat is one of the winners in their Eco Responsible contest I was a little surprised. To be totally honest, I have no idea how many winners there were, but hey, it’s pretty cool a little cafe in a town the size of Quincy, CA. can be eco-friendly enough to win any contest!
I’ve been taking a curious look at Starbuck’s website that courageously asks customers to leave comments and ideas for Starbuck’s. Among the all time top ideas were eco-friendly suggestions like “use spoons instead of plastic stirrers”, “compost your spent coffee grounds”. 89,470 people voted on the suggestion to recycle. There were 10,180 votes on using ceramic mugs for people who stay there to drink their coffee, and 28,740 votes for locally sourced baked goods. It’s pretty apparent by these numbers that environmentally responsible company practices are important to coffee drinkers. I am really happy to say that the Alley Cat Cafe is way ahead of the giant coffee company in going Green.
Here are a few ways we, at the Alley Cat, are Eco Responsible:
- We use as much Organic, locally produced ingredients as possible.
- We compost all our produce scraps and spent coffee grounds.
- We only offer Fairly Traded coffee, tea and chocolate
- We use geo thermal technology to heat and cool the building
- We have always used good old spoons to stir with
- We recycle
- Our pastries are either freshly made in house or sourced from local bakeries, so we aren’t shipping from across the nation to get them here.
- We have always used ceramic coffee mugs for people who can sit down and stay awhile.
We are always looking for ways to be even “Greener”, if you have any suggestions let us know about them…. Facebook us.